Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

NEW CAR BUILD
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: NEW CAR BUILD

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 4 months ago #9353

Better yet, maybe Ken can move this into the tech tips section to be archived there.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 4 months ago #9355

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
seafeye wrote:
I noticed they (GlowShift) didn't have a fuel gauge. Am i wrong or are you not going to put one in?

Yes they do and yes I am. If you need help, Jason is the guy to talk to over there. Jason's EM is This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it and make sure you include the 10% discount code (944Build2010) when corresponding with him.
You'll need to know the resistance of the sending unit which Nick over at Bennington Motorsports kindly provided me with. full 3.5 ohm.....empty 65 ohm

PIC_7001.JPG

OK, lets get some work done......
I took the dash over to Ed and Jason's shop, the Father/Son team who did the roll cage. They have this neat press and we just punched holes in the dash to lighten it. Jason did all the work while I supervised.
Thanks Jason!!!!

PIC_6964.JPG

PIC_6968.JPG

PIC_6971.JPG

PIC_6983.JPG

PIC_6989.JPG
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 13 years, 4 months ago by RacerX.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 4 months ago #9357

Per the manuals, fuel level sender range is 2.8 to 63.2 ohms. Minor difference from what you posted. Nice work on the build!

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 4 months ago #9371

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
I stand or should I say, Nick stands corrected. Thanks!
Lots of work done on the dash. It's getting close. We were at 5 lbs 11 oz. last time I posted on the dash. I didn't like the face plate that I cut out of sheet stock so I cut another one out of aluminum.

PIC_7002.JPG

I bent this edge over to give the dash more rigidity.

PIC_7012.JPG

I drilled some holes in the dash to attach the face plate with rivets.

PIC_7007.JPG

The dash is curved and required removal of the face plate many times to be fitted properly, so I used small nuts and bolts to hold it in place.

PIC_7023.JPG

PIC_7028.JPG

After I finished fitting the face plate, I made a template and drew out my gauge layout on it.

PIC_7039.JPG

I cut the big hole with a jig saw but for the smaller one decided a hole saw would be best.

PIC_7040.JPG

PIC_7046.JPG

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 4 months ago #9372

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
A taste of what's to come.

PIC_7056.JPG

I set the dash in the car an drilled the mounting holes. Then I dissambled the dash, wiped it down and gave it a shot of primer. After the primer dried, I applied some satan black to the dash. While the black was drying, I took the aluminum face plate and brushed it, wiped it down and shot it with some satin clear, letting everything dry overnight. I permanently installed the face plate with rivets and .....

PIC_7069.JPG

We started out with a dash weighting 7 lbs 4 oz. Got it down to 5 lbs 11oz. Our final weight on the above dash with paint is 5 lbs 4 oz. That's a 2 lb reduction from when I started. Don't forget that this dash has the factory defrost duct in it, which will get hooked up later. I wonder what an aluminum dash weights???

I installed the gauges in the dash.

PIC_7081.JPG

Installed the dash in the car.

PIC_7085.JPG

PIC_7096.JPG

I still have to install some switches in the dash and wire it up but that won't happen till next weekend. Till then I've got some painting to finish inside the car and get the engine bay all cleaned up for it's freshly rebuilt motor.

Don't forget.....
Motor install party Jan 22nd. Everyone is welcome. Pizza, pop and beer!!!! We should start about 3-4 pm. We'll eat shortly after everyone gets here, 4:30 ish.
Address is 102 S. Water St., Wilmington, IL., 60481 cell 815-791-6580
Again, everyone is welcome!! Even if you can't turn a wrench, you can stop by to eat, have a drink and BS.

I'm not sure I should include the hole saw and drill in the cost cause it's a tool and I'll be able to use it again on something else.
Hole saw & Pilot drill $24.05
Total cost of car so far $4118.99

(EDIT) I decided to remove the cost of tools that I can use on other projects but if I buy them just for the build, I'll include them.
Total cost of car so far $4094.94
Attachments:

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 4 months ago #9414

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
I finished up the adapter to hook up the factory defrost to a 3" duct. I will add a bildge blower later.

PIC_7152.JPG

I received a nice addition to the car from Bryce Austin who will be a co-driver. This should help out quite a bit.

PIC_7148.JPG

Dave Lowman started the wiring last night. We got a good start on it. The gauges are all wired up.

PIC_7151.JPG

I mounted the DME but have a question. Does it need to be rubber mounted to protect from vibration????

PIC_7128.JPG

I found a nice spot just inside the car to mount the master switch.

PIC_7136.JPG

I also installed the fuse block and relays. Dave started to get some wiring done but it was late so we called it a day.

PIC_7135.JPG

This morning, or should I say afternoon, I started by cleaning up some of the mess and then mounted the battery.

PIC_7143.JPG

Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.12 seconds